Eight Killed, 28 Injured In Afghan Gov’s Convoy attack

No one has so far claimed responsibility for the Laghman attack, but the Taliban are active in the region.
224
Eight Killed, 28 Injured In Afghan Gov’s Convoy attack

At least eight people were killed on Monday by a suicide attack targeting an Afghan provincial governor, officials said, as the president travelled to Qatar, where peace talks with the Taliban have stalled.

When the attackers rammed an explosive-filled vehicle into the convoy of Rahmatullah Yarmal, the governor of eastern Laghman province, twenty-eight people were injured.

“The governor was driving to his office when his car was hit. Four of his bodyguards and four civilians were killed, 28 wounded,” the governor’s spokesman Assadullah Daulatzai told AFP, adding that the governor was unhurt.

The spokesman for the Interior Ministry, Tareq Arian, confirmed the attack and said that the majority of the wounded were civilians.

It comes as President Ashraf Ghani left for Doha on Monday, three weeks after the start of historic peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban, to meet with Qatari officials.

According to his spokesman Sediq Sediqqi, Ghani will first stop in Kuwait to give condolences over the death of Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad Al-Sabah.

Disagreements between the Taliban and the negotiators of the Afghan government aimed at resolving the 19-year war in Afghanistan have stalled over disagreements about how to interpret a code of conduct that will direct wider talks.

The Taliban, who are Sunni hardliners, insist on adhering to Sunni Islamic jurisprudence's Hanafi academy, but government negotiators say this could be used to discriminate against Hazaras, who are mostly Shia, and other minorities in the country.

How the US-Taliban agreement will shape a possible peace agreement and how it will be referred to is another divisive question.

No one has so far claimed responsibility for the Laghman attack, but the Taliban are active in the region.

UK court begins trial of suspects accused of killing 39 migrants
On Saturday, a suicide bomber detonated a vehicle full of explosives at the entrance an administrative building in eastern Nangarhar province, killing 15 people, mostly civilians, officials said.

(AFP)

© LIVE updates, Latest headlines, Breaking news, Top Stories, Trending topics, Nigerian Newspapers - The Gazette Nigeria 2020

Published by NINCHI Services Limited

Proudly powered by Extrigs! Pye.