BREAKING: 18 Killed as Violence Erupts in Jos

1973
People Killed, Houses Torched as Violence Erupts in Jos

On Saturday morning, 18 people are said to have been killed in Jos, Plateau State, following an outbreak of new violence along the city's Rukuba road axis.

According to reports, at least 18 bodies were transported in two Hilux vans from the disaster site to the Plateau Specialist Hospital mortuary.

Despite the fact that the violence has been quenched by Soldiers from the Special Task Force (STF) assigned to security, the city is nevertheless shrouded in fear and tension.

The Irigwe youths have claimed several times in the last two days that they will be transporting the bodies of their deceased colleagues to Bassa for burial on Saturday. On Saturday morning, they started off in a convoy for the burial when violence erupted along the .

Along the way with the corpses, they came upon some vans transporting Fulani. The Fulani claimed to be commuters from Bauchi, but the outraged youngsters questioned them, pointing out that Rukuba road does not link to the Bauchi highway. They feared they were on their way to attack them at the cemetery.

Before security agents arrived, the teenagers allegedly pounced on the Fulani, injuring some and killing others. Before the security agents arrived, the fighting had begun to escalate.

In response to the new violence, the state's governor, Simon Lalong, condemned the killings, particularly because they involved innocent commuters, and instructed security officials to quickly find and arrest the offenders while controlling the area to restore quiet.

In a statement signed by his Director of Press, Simon Macham reads in part:

“Governor Simon Bako Lalong has warned trouble makers bent on fomenting trouble in Plateau State to desist as the government will not allow any form of lawlessness to disrupt the peace of the State.

“Lalong said the attacks on innocent citizens no matter their backgrounds will never be tolerated in Plateau State and those who are found to be behind such attacks will be dealt with decisively to serve as deterrence and restore public order.

“The Governor however commends security agencies for their immediate response leading to the arrest of some suspects and the restoration of calm to the area.”

The Governor also expressed his condolences to the victims' families and assured all law-abiding citizens that security around the region, as well as throughout the capital, had been tightened up to prevent further breaches of the peace.

He urged individuals to be attentive and security conscious when reporting suspicious people or behavior in their neighborhoods so that law enforcement officials can respond promptly.

Lalong also ordered Prof. Danladi Atu, the State Secretary to the Government, to visit the affected districts and assess the situation, as well as ensure that those who were hurt received sufficient medical care.