In Kano, police use tear gas to deter an attack.

Security forces stand guard during a protest against the reopening of the Lekki toll gate in Lagos [Temilade Adelaja/Reuters]

Thousands of spectators at Hawan Daushe, a traditional Sallah Durbar, were saved from a huge attack by a group of unruly youngsters in Kano thanks to quick police intervention.

The youngsters barricaded the road a few meters from Kofar Kudu, the durbar's venue, in order to unleash an attack on the fleeing crowd of unwitting onlookers before the police intervened with teargas.

Thugs threw stones at officers, but they were overwhelmed before the masses could pass.

Many durbar viewers were stranded at the emir's palace until around 7 p.m. due to the occurrences. The violence began as soon as the governor's motorcade departed the emir's compound. The group gathered and blocked the road in order to loot people and cause chaos in the area.

Thugs battles have always been a feature of Hawan Daushe, with scores of people injured. However, no one was hurt in the event on Friday.

Since his enthronement last year, the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, has held his first Sallah durbar.  Last year, the yearly event was canceled as a precaution against the development of the COVID-19 pandemic in the state.

The ceremony on Friday, which began at 5 p.m., drew a large crowd from all walks of Kano society.

Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, as well as a number of other political figures, were in attendance.

As is customary, the ritual began in Kofar Kwaru, where the emir rode a horse alongside his royal guards in traditional regalia to Gidan Mai Babban Daki, where he paid Sallah respect to his stepmothers in place of his biological mother, who died a few weeks ago.

Following his visit to Gidan Mai Babban Daki, the Emir returned to the palace via Kofar Kudu, where he was greeted by his district chiefs and other titleholders in a traditional show of horsemanship before retiring to the palace, bringing the famed Hawan Daushe to a close.