Afghan forces killed a top Al-Qaeda commander in a joint raid with the US on the Taliban in Helmand province.
Asim Omar was killed alongside six of his fellow terrorists from the organisation in a September 23 attack, Afghanistan‘s National Directorate for Security revealed today.
Omar was the head of operations in South Asia and died alongside his courier to Al-Qaeda leader Ayman Al-Zawahiri.
Asim Omar (pictured) was killed alongside six of his terrorist colleagues in a joint raid by US and Afghan forces
‘They had been embedded inside the Taliban compound in the Taliban stronghold of Musa Qala,’ added the Afghan intelligence services’ statement.
The operation targeted a Taliban hideout in the Musa Qala district, but at least 40 people attending a wedding party were killed on the same day, according to provincial officials, in US airstrikes.
Most of dead were women and children, according to Helmand’s Deputy Provincial Councilman Abdul Majed Akhund.
Twelve more civilians were wounded and were hospitalized in Lashkar Gah, the capital of Helmand province.
Civilian deaths caused by US and Afghan forces have surpassed those caused by the Taliban and other insurgents for the first time in 18 years of war, according to a United Nations report.
The offensive also killed 22 Taliban fighters, including foreigners, Afghanistan’s defense ministry said.
Afghan villagers carry a dead body on a stretcher outside a hospital following an airstrike in Lashkar Gah
Men wheel an elderly man from the hospital on Monday after the raid on Taliban positions killed at least 40 civilians
Fourteen people were arrested, including five Pakistani nationals and one Bangladeshi.
The statement said a large warehouse of supplies and equipment was also destroyed.
The Taliban are at their strongest since their ouster in 2001 and hold sway over more than half the country, staging near-daily, deadly attacks across Afghanistan.
A bomb detonated inside a classroom in eastern Ghazni province, wounding at least 19 university students today, a provincial official said.
Arif Noori, spokesman for the provincial governor, said 12 of the wounded are female students of the Ghazni University, located on the outskirts of the provincial capital, the city of Ghazni.
Noori added that two of the wounded are in critical condition. No one immediately claimed responsibility for Tuesday’s attack.
Last month a magnetic explosive device attached to a minibus belonging to the same university detonated, killing the driver. Noori says five students were also wounded in that blast.
The Taliban are active in the province and regularly launch attacks against security forces there.
The UN report found that US and Afghan forces killed 717 civilians and injured 680 in the first six months of the year, up 31 per cent from the same period in 2018. The Taliban and IS killed 531 and wounded 1,437, down 43 per cent.
Source : Mail OnlineIf you appreciated this article, perhaps you might consider making a donation to The Gazette Nigeria. Our contributors and editors are unpaid but there are inevitable costs associated with running a website. We receive no independent funding and depend on our readers to help us, either with regular or one-off payments. You can donate here. Thank you.